Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wo Mi Lu Le (I am lost)

I got lost... very lost.  Looking through Time Out Shanghai, I found a restaurant I wanted to eat at, South Memory.  The restaurant serves Hunanese food, which I am not sure I have had before.

South Memory is in Xujiahui, close to where I am staying.  I looked at a map and set off on my way.  I walked and walked and walked, but I never found the place.  After wandering around for an hour, I decided I needed to ask for help.  I found a lady and told her I was lost, after some thought she understood, and pointed me in the right direction.  I finally found the place, it was inside the mall across the street from my hotel.  Oops.

Dinner was much easier, since I have learned some new words, and also customs associated with eating.  Also, I have realized I need to order a lot less.  As a small dish I had baby squid.

Baby Squid
They were really great.  I could go back and have just these little guys for dinner.  They were perfectly cooked.  Not rubbery, but firm.  The sauce was sour and spicy.  The spice lingered in my mouth and built up as I ate more and more.  The squid was served over cilantro.  It really gave the dish a nice brightness.

Hello My Tasty Little Friend
For my main dish, I had bullfrog dry pot.  It was awesome.  There were big chunks of frog, not just the legs.  They had been floured and lightly fried.  Obviously, there were a lot of peppers and other spicy goodness.  The veggies for the dish were lotus root and some other Chinese veggies I didn't recognize.

Ribbit

I really liked South Memory.  I will be going there often since it is so close to the hotel and so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment