Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The First Impression is the Most Important

My first impression of Shanghai is overwhelming.  I was prepared for the lack of physical personal space, but I was to ready for a lack of mental or psychological space.  I know that might seem strange, but we are accustomed to being able to just hang out without talking to anyone.  This is not the case at the Shanghai airport.  You can not get a second to think.  People are constantly approaching you to ask you if you want a taxi, if you need to call some one, if you are on a tour, if you have a hotel, etc.  It is insane.  I could not find my driver, so I was bombarded.  Once the situation was figured out, I went to my hotel.  The trip was long, and not very scenic.  On the way, I was reminded of the way to Montreal from the east.  There were a lot of tall apartment buildings, billboards, and the occasional mall but not much else. 
The pollution is a lot better than I thought it would be, but the air is extremely hazy.  It was difficult for my camera to take photos because the haze scattered the light.  Hopefully, the air will clear soon and I will get some better photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment