Friday, July 19, 2013

Shanghai Museum - Minorities Wing: Part I


I finally made it to the Shanghai Museum on my second weekend in town.  The museum is huge.  There are four floors of amazing collections of Chinese cultural artifacts.  

The first thing I did was to acquire an English Audioguide.  Here are the crazy instructions for getting one:
1.  Go to the counter to the east of the north entrance.  Pay 40 RMB for a small ticket.  
2.  Take the ticket to the counter next to the entrance to the Bronze collection.  
3.  Make sure you are in the right most line.
4.  Specify that you would like "ying wen."
5.  Pay 400 RMB deposit or leave your passport.
Yeah I am amazed I managed to get one as well.  In the end however, the hassle was worth it.

After Audioguide madness, I set off for the top of the museum, to see the Minorities Wing.  This was by far my favorite part of the day.  Here are the first of many photos I took of the beautiful treasures.

Itty bitty map
There are a lot of minorities in China.  Most people are Han (light yellow color on the East above).  According to the internet, there are 56 ethnic minorities in China, however, most of them are not officially recognized. 

The collection of the minorities wing focuses on clothing and a few handicrafts.




I heard salmon leather is the IT fabric for spring

Mongol Dress

Uygur

Uygur hats

Lhoba

Miao

Tujia

Jingpo

Yi

Tu

Tibetan

Yao

Miao Necklace

Li Carved Bone Hairpins
Various

De'ang



Lahu

Of course  there were a lot more outfits, but these were the ones I really liked.  They are all so beautiful.  I definitely want to hit up a pattern shop before I leave, to see if I can get myself to sew some of these for me to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment