Saturday, July 20, 2013

Aquariant

After a day of running around the city, my Chinese co worker and I decided to go to dinner.  He suggested we go to a Ningbo restaurant (now referred to as aquariant).  I had really wanted to go to one of these places, but it was just too much as someone that does not speak Chinese.

Typical Aquariant

We agreed that we should go to one of the classier restaurants.  We chose Shanghai Dongjun Bird's Nest Shark's Fin Seafood Restaurant.  Yes that's the name, and yes they have both bird's nest, and shark fins.  I refuse to eat both.
We are classy peeps at a classy aquariant
There are a lot of choices at the restaurant.  There are clams for about $3 a pound to lobster over $100 a pound.  Luckily, we chose well, and didn't spend even close to that much money.
Look at thtat deliciousness

My coworker chose a long skinny fish and I choose squid and razor clams.  It was a lot easier to order than I expected.  Although no one spoke English, there were signs on each type of seafood explaining the tree ways it could be cooked.  The only downside is that there was maybe one or two words to describe the cooking style.  For example, teriyaki grilled, fry, garlic fry.  All are very different, but you would never guess that from the three choices.


Overlooking the tanks

After picking out our seafood, looked around to see what other food they served.  There must of been at least another 100 dishes we could have chosen from.  There was fresh made Chinese style naan.  Every kind of vegetable or meat dish.  There were at least 6 sizes of shark fin to choose from.  It was crazy.  After our browse, we were lead upstairs to wait for our dishes. 

Razor Clams!!!

The razor clams were first.  They were stir fried (surprise!), in a very spicy sauce.  Luckily, they had been taken out of the shell.  As always, they were perfectly cooked.  It was a very pleasant dish.


Mystery fish in mystery sauce

Next, there was the skinny fish.  My coworker explained that this was a typical preparation of fish in China.  It was almost like a mushroom gravy.  The chunks of meat had been lightly floured and maybe pan fried.  The fish still had the bones, so I had to be taught how to eat it properly.  I found this dish to be very hearty and it felt like I was eating Chinese comfort food.


Mystery vegetable

This is my coworkers favorite vegetable.  I still have no idea what it is, but it tastes good, so I eat it.

Squid
The squid was the bomb (if you allow me to use the term in a restaurant review).  Although I had chosen teriyaki, there was nothing teriyaki about this dish.  It was solid Chinese food.  Some spicy, some savory, and a little oily.  The squid was spot on, and texturally wonderful.  My favorite of the tree dishes.

Check out the name of this joint

I most likely will come back on another trip.  I think this place is best for several people as you need to buy by the pound or the whole fish.  Crazy name, crazy good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment