Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy Surprise

I was wandering around the neighboorhood I now call home, looking for a place to eat (as always), and I ran into a Yang's Fried Dumplings.  Now, those of you that follow the Shanghai Chowhound page (I bet there are milions who do), will know that Yang's is the most highly regarded of all dumpling chains.  Although I was planning on having something else, I quickly switched my plans.

Ordering was simple enough.  There are only a few items to choose from, maybe 10, and all ordering is done at a counter.  I drew the characters for beef curry soup into my phone, and pointed to order dumplings. 



Yummy dumplings


Holy shut the door... Chinese food is HOT! All the food is served so hot, not spicy but hot.  It has been four days of burning my mouth across Shanghai, and I still forget.  Someday I will learn to wait for my food to cool down.


Busted open to cool

The dumplings were really good.  Full of pork meat and a lot of "soup." They are called xiaolongbao, and are a specialty of Shanghai.  They are completely made by hand.  While I was there, there were at least 7 people working full time on making bao.  One person divided the dough into smaller pieces.  Two people rolled the dough into flat discs.  Three people stuffed and folded, and a fourth, folded and cooked the bao.  It reminded me of when my aunts, grandma, cousin, and I all fold empanadas.  There was a lot of chit chat and kidding around.

Beef curry soup

It was an awesome meal, and only costs 15 RMB.  As a mater of fact, it was so good, writting this post made me hungry, so I will be heading back in a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment