Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Nervous Anticiapation is Here

Finally, my plane ticket is booked, my visa, paperwork is on its way, and my hotel reservation is in progress.  I can tell that I am getting closer and closer to my trip by the butterflies building in my belly.  I am nervous. 

China is such a huge country.  Shanghai is a massive city, with millions of people.  There is so much to see and do.  I am so very small.  It is very silly of me to feel overwhelmed by a city I have never been to, but I am. 

Obviously, the only thing I can do is to keep moving forward with my preparations.  In that regard, my Mandarin is improving.  My Chinese coworkers have to work less to decipher what I am attempting to say.  Unfortunately for me, a lot of what I can say is not that useful.  For example, "I don't use chopsticks (wo3 bu4 yong4 kuai4 zi)," is only really useful if you can't use chopsticks.  At least, I may be able to understand when someone asks if I need a fork.  Oh well, I still think it is a worth while pursuit.

Maybe in a few days, the butterflies will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment